- Date 10 Sep 2017
- Category Insurance Knowledge Base
For Your Knowledge
If you do not have coverage for the fair or full value of the owned property, you will not be able to get financial help from mortgage companies. A few tips can make your home insurance meet your needs:
Homeowners’ insurance isn’t cheap. People living in areas more prone to earthquakes, floods or high claim areas pay the highest coverage. Sometimes, high-risk residents are asked to pay thousands of dollars as annual premiums. However, this does not means that homeowners of secluded, suburban areas can buy a cheap policy. The basic policy for relatively out-of-the-way areas lies between 100-500 US dollars.
Many people restrain from purchasing homeowner’s insurance because of the expenses involved in it. Homeowner’s insurance is not a choice that you can make. It is absolutely necessary and you should not refrain from buying it. The best thing about this is that you can cut down its cost by following some steps.
1) You Security Alarm Helps Cut Down Premium Costs: By installing a burglar alarm in your house and connecting it with a police station can help you cut down your premium costs up to 5 percent. However, in order to avail this benefit, you will have to show the insurance company the contract paper. Smoke alarms can also make things easy for you. Usually, a smoke alarm is installed in all newly built houses but if you set a smoke alarm in an old house, you can save more than 8 percent on your premium amount. Keeping you away from fire is another benefit that they give. So get the alarms for your safety and cut down your insurance cost.
2) Increase Deductible To Decrease Premium: Just like any other kind of insurance, if you choose a higher deductible for your homeowner insurance, you will have to pay lesser premium. This is another simple and easy way to keep away from paying higher premiums.
3) Buy From the Same Insurance Company: Instead of buying your auto and health insurance policies from other companies, consider purchasing them from the same company where you have bought your homeowner policy. There are a lot of companies that allow a discount up to 10 percent to all their customers who buy multiple policies from them. In this way, you can save on two or more premiums and control your expenses considerably. Moreover, you will stay away from the hassle of contacting different companies in case of any incident.
4) Pay Back Your Mortgage Loans: People who repay their debts to mortgage companies have to pay smaller premiums. You may wonder why it’s so. The answer is downright simple. The owner who manages to pay back his loans to take possession of his homes is also capable of taking care of his home. Once you satisfy Mortgage Company, the insurance company will satisfy you.
In order to keep yourself away from any kind of trouble and to receive your insurance money in time, make sure that you have everything written in black and white. Moreover, take pictures and make a video of your home. Keep the pictures and movies somewhere safe, preferably at your siblings’ place. This will constitute a record of the belongings of the homeowner and can be presented to the insurance company in case of any kind of calamity. Moreover, it will save you from a lot of fatigue and time for claiming your possessions, if the disaster really occurs.